Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day #1 Vanilla Bean Cupcakes



Ah, the Vanilla Bean cupcake... I have to admit, I was a bit nervous about how this cupcake would come out because I still don't think I've perfected the "vanilla" yellow cupcake... and you'd think that one would be the easiest! I was pleasantly surprised at how this cupcake came out... I did a lot of research on various vanilla bean cupcakes and after doing so many test cakes, I've got a general idea of what types of recipes I'm looking for. This one was right on, I only had to adjust the amount of vanilla paste because I have a higher concentrated version. I also applied the chemistry skills I learned from Rose and let me tell ya, this lady knows her stuff! If you've ever got spare time to read a cookbook (yes, really read, like a real book) check out her CAKE BIBLE. So after my few small adjustments, I got a nice batter...look at all of the yummy vanilla beans in there...



The texture of the cake was just as I was looking for... very light, fluffy and spongy. The amount of vanilla in the cake wasn't overpowering at all.

Then it was on to the frosting. Now, because the frosting, in my opinion, is the crown jewel of this cupcake, it took me a couple of tries to get it just right. The first batch of Vanilla Bean Frosting had too much confectioner's sugar to the ratio of butter and even adding a bit of extra vanilla and milk didn't seem to help balance this frosting out. It was an okay frosting, but not the shining glory I was looking for. The second round however didn't disappoint. After tasting the first batch, I had an idea of what the ratio's needed to be, and how'd it turn out? Well lookie here....



Yummy.... just what I was looking for.... the butter/sugar ratio was perfect so it gave off a more creamy vanilla taste... just like melted Breyer's Vanilla Bean ice cream!

So what did the end result look like?



Couple things I've learned from this test run: Don't use white cupcake wrappers. Although the cake is a perfect golden brown, I don't like the appearance of it showing through the cupcake wrapper. I think a darker wrapper would look nice, and as one of my kids suggested, some of those chocolate sprinkles to give it a more "vanilla bean" look. I think he's on to something.... the cupicakeness of it all is rubbing off on him. :P

Check in tomorrow to see what cupcakes I'm making... I haven't decided yet. Oh, and if you have any cute name suggestions for these cupcake flavors, let me know what they are!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment